Archives and RTI training at Narandi, 20 July 2014
August 3, 2014, 4:37 pm
A programme on Archives Management Training was held on 20 July in Narandi Union Parishad. Initiators were Elias Kanchon of Friends of Archives Bangladesh (FAB) and Bangladesh Archives & Right to Information Community (BARTIC) and Sumon of Union Information & Service Centre (UISC). Training was about:
- How to support the people using the Right to Information Act (RTI)
- How to develop & provide better (local) government services to the people
- How to give more value to laws and regulations in the country
A discussion about the development of archives and RTI Act, development of training programmes in ARM, digital archives, networkbuilding (FAB, BARMS, BARTIC etc.), historical awareness concluded the programme. In this discussion were present: MD Shahajahan, secretary at Village Court in Local Government and Rural Development (LGRD) Ministry, Sumon (UISC), Joy Ahamed (Student) and AjaedMiha (Student).
Dutch BARM considers these activities as good examples for what several BarmS members, FAB members and BARTICK – members can do in several Union Parishads in Jamalpur, Dinajpur, Bogra, Khulna, Comilla, Rajarhat /Kurigram, etc.
September 14, 2014, 11:49 pm
Elias and Birampur Municipal Secretary Md. Seraful Islam sitting at his desk
Mr.Minnat and Md. Shoidul Islam of Zia Hart Hospital
September 7, 2014, 6:22 pm
Elias Kanchon, RonyDuronto, DiptoSaha, Subrata, Minnat, Nurul Islam, Alamgir, Rajib worked for better Archives & Records (ARM) awareness and proper use of Right to Information Act (RTI) in Dinajpur District and Birampur Municipality during 2 – 5 september 2014.
Visits were done at:
- Birampur Municipality (1995): meeting with secretary Md. Seraful Islam, for more awareness about ARM, use of RTI, record keeping programme and better record keepers. It appears there is no proper record room at the Municipality. ICA practical guide about NGO recordkeeping (translated in Bengal language) is distributed and secretary is invited for international archives conference of 31 January 2015 at International University of Business, Agriculture & Technology (IUBAT), Uttara, Dhaka.
- Birampur Pilot High-School: meeting with head-teacher Md. Arman and computer-teacher Md. MaharabHossain about need of archives, what are archives, archival materials. High-School lacks archival knowledge and awareness. Bengal translation of NGO recordkeeping is distributed.
- Meeting of local group at Birampur Pilot High-School Field about ARM & RTI. The group consists of Doyab, Subrata, Dipto, Razib, Taposh. Elias Kanchon answers questions about RTI & ARM and gets invitation for meeting at Rangpur Carmichael College; participants at this field-meeting express need for project on RTI & ARM and further build-up of local FAB / BARTIC group
- ZIA Heart Hospital: meeting with mr.Minnat about hospital online service, proper patient files, proper education and training in ARM and proper Archives & Records legislation. ZIA Heart hospitaI is very advanced in ARM awareness.
This local field work is very important in building up awareness of citizens about their rights to get information from local government, NGO’s, school boards, land records offices, etc.